We offer group discounts for learners of all ages visiting with 10 or more guests. Group reservations must be made at least three weeks in advance for guided group tours and for self-guided student group visits.
The museum frequently offers public tours on Saturdays and Sundays at 2 p.m. and Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. Content of the public tour varies according to what’s on view and the docent’s particular expertise, and may include a combination of works in the permanent collection and temporary exhibitions.
Please call the Box Office to inquire about upcoming dates for these tours: 214.768.8587.
Public Tours are not available on SMU home game days. Please visit https://smumustangs.com/sports/football/schedule for the full schedule.
Self-Guided Group Visits
The Meadows Museum welcomes self-guided groups. Reservations for student groups are required in order to prevent overcrowding of the galleries and are subject to availability. Please submit your request at least three weeks in advance using the online form below.
We ask that self-guided groups yield to tours being conducted by museum staff and docent volunteers. Visit our online curricula page to view and download pre-visit materials for students.
Group Guidelines & Policies
Group size: Minimum 10, maximum indicated below. We require 1 chaperone per 15 students (1st–12th grade).
Tour times: During regular business hours, based on availability.
10:15 a.m.–4:00 p.m. – Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday
10:15 a.m.–8:00 p.m. – Thursday
10:15 a.m.–4:00 p.m. – Saturday
1:15 p.m.–4:00 p.m. – Sunday
Pricing (fees include admission):
- Student groups (1st–12th & higher ed): $1.00 per person
- Teacher-led student groups: FREE
- Adult groups: $10.00 per person (fee applies to members and visitors)
Student group rates apply to groups with at least 10 students. Groups with physical or cognitive disabilities are not required to have 10 students. One adult chaperone, at least 21 years old, is required for every 15 students (1st–12th grade). Instructors and chaperones accompanying students will pay the student rate.
Customize Your Tour
We are committed to providing engaging and empowering experiences with art to all of our visitors. If you are booking a guided tour, several additions and modifications are available for tours in order to enhance and support your group’s experience. Some items listed below are always available, such as use of the elevator and gallery seating, but it is helpful for us to know ahead of time that your group would benefit from their use so we can alert your tour guides.
If a member of your tour group would benefit from any of the following accommodations, please indicate them on your tour request form. You can learn more on our accessibility webpage.
- Use of the elevator
- Seating in the galleries
- Tactile/multisensory opportunities – Objects, scents, recorded sounds, tactile (braille) representations of works, and/or other opportunities for touch.
- Visual description – Verbal descriptions of visual elements of art and the environment.
- Auditory assistance – Headphone or T-coil-compatible speech amplifiers.
- ASL interpretation – American Sign Language (1-2 weeks’ advanced notice required)
- Extra time for tasks
Tours for K-12 and Higher Education Student Groups
The Meadows Museum is pleased to offer docent-led tours for K-12 and university student groups. 45 students maximum with 1 adult chaperone per 15 students. Admission is waived to all youth 18 and under + 1 chaperone per 10 students in class visits to the Meadows Museum during the 2022-2023 academic year, thanks to a grant from Fichtenbaum Charitable Trust, Bank of America, N.A., Co-Trustee. School groups may request self-guided/ teacher-led tours for groups of 45 people or less.
45 students maximum | 1 instructor per class section
SMU instructors are welcomed to collaborate with Meadows Museum education department staff to design gallery engagements that support course curricula. Please indicate the length of your class section(s) on your request form.
Tours for Adult Groups
60 minutes | 45 adults maximum
Venture beyond what you think you know about Spain. Explore artworks that speak to the rich diversity and complexity of Spanish culture—from politics, religion, and power, to costume, place, and artistic process.
Tips & FAQs
- Before booking a school group visit, please check your school’s testing dates, holidays, and bus availability.
- Did you know? The museum is accessible via FREE Museum Express and SMU Express shuttles from Mockingbird Station as well as other DART transit routes.
- Lunches may be eaten outside the museum, on the south side of the plaza. The museum has no indoor eating facilities in the case of inclement weather. There are many on- and off-campus dining options as well.
- Please schedule guided tours and self-guided student groups at least 3 weeks in advance. All group visits are subject to availability.
- Please note that your reservation time indicates the beginning of your group’s visit. Upon arrival, all groups must check in at the Visitor Services desk with their final headcount. If you are scheduled for a guided group tour, you will also pay at this time. Payment must be made in one lump sum.
- A confirmation/invoice form will be sent to the email provided once your booking is final. Please review this form carefully.