Tours are conducted by experienced docents who are passionate about art. They will facilitate the gallery experience by encouraging an exchange of ideas that might include the cultural, historical, or aesthetic aspects of art.
Public Tours & Gallery Hosts
SUNDAYS, 2:00 P.M.
Public tours of the permanent collection are offered free with museum admission.
THURSDAYS, 6:30 P.M.
Free public tours of the special exhibitions are offered. (During Thursday evenings when admission is free, Gallery hosts are available to address your questions about the permanent collection and exhibitions.)
Private Group Tours
The Meadows Museum welcomes and highly values student and adult groups visiting the permanent collection as well as special exhibitions. We require that reservations be made at least three weeks in advance. Please be advised that all requests are subject to availability.
Tours can be structured around permanent collection highlights or special exhibitions. Spanish-speaking docents are available upon request and are also subject to availability. All docent-guided tours last one hour.
Follow this link to learn more about the Meadows Museum docent Program.
Self-Guided Group Visits
The Meadows Museum also welcomes self-guided student and adult groups visiting our permanent collection as well as our special exhibitions. Reservations for self-guided group visits are required two weeks in advance and are subject to availability.
Self-guided groups are required to schedule a time in order to prevent overcrowding in the galleries. The museum asks that self-guided groups yield to tours being conducted by museum staff and docents. Teachers, please visit our Online Curricula page in advance of your visit to download preparatory materials.
Guidelines for Groups
Group Size: 10-70 people per hour; 1 chaperone for every 10 students
Tour times: During regular business hours (depending on availability)
Tuesday – Friday 10:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Fees for Guided Tours:
Guided Tours must be booked three weeks in advance.
- Docent guided tours for K-12 and college student groups are $1.00 per person. Tour fee includes museum admission.
- Docent guided tours for adult groups are $8.00 per person. Tour fee includes museum admission.
Fees for Self-Guided Tours:
Self-Guided Tours must be booked two weeks in advance
- Self-guided tours for K-12 and college student groups are complimentary. Tour fee includes museum admission.
- Self-guided tours for adult groups are $8.00 per person. Tour fee includes museum admission.
Booking Your Visit
Confirmation, Cancellations and Late Arrivals
- A confirmation will be sent to you once your booking is final. It will be sent to the email address you provide us at the time of your booking. Please review this form carefully.
- A week before your visit, please confirm the date, time and the number in your group by e-mailing the Education Coordinator (email@example.com) or calling 214.768.2740.
- Please note that your reservation time marks the beginning of your visit. A Docent or a staff member will greet the docent-guided groups in the foyer of the museum. You must check in with the front desk with a final count for your group when you arrive for your tour.
- Self-guided groups will check in at the front desk. We ask that you give a final count for your group at that time.
- If you must cancel, contact the Education Coordinator immediately. If it is after your scheduled time, contact the box office at 214.768.8587.
- Docents are asked to wait no longer than 20 minutes for late arrivals; tours with late arrivals may be shortened in order to accommodate the museum schedule.
Tours are conducted by experienced Docents who are passionate about art. They will facilitate the students’ gallery experience by encouraging an exchange of ideas that might include the cultural, historical, or aesthetic aspects of art. Tours can be structured around permanent collection highlights or special exhibitions. Group size: 10-70 students per hour; 1 chaperone for every 10 students.
Tour Programs Offered
Learning to Look Recommended for First Grade – Third Grade
Students will explore the permanent collection, interpreting the stories they see in works of art and identifying basic elements of art. Program length: 60 minutes
Introduction to Spanish Art
Recommended for Fourth Grade and Up
Journey through Spain without leaving Dallas! Students will examine Spanish Masters from the 10th-21st centuries, including works by El Greco, Velázquez, Murillo, Goya, and Picasso. Program length: 60 minutes
Spanish Language, Spanish Culture
Recommended for Spanish Language Classes, Seventh Grade and Up
Introduce students to aspects of Spanish culture through Spanish language and the Meadows Museum collection. Adaptable for all levels of Spanish language students. Spanish-speaking docents are available upon request and are subject to availability. Program length: 60 minutes
The Form of Things: Sculpture at the Meadows, Workshop Tour
Recommended for Sixth – Twelfth Grade
Observe sculpture from all angles through the Elizabeth Meadows Sculpture Collection, located both inside and outside the Museum, and then create your own 3-D work of art. Program length: 90 minutes
Faces of Spain, Workshop Tour
Recommended for First Grade – Twelfth Grade
Students will investigate portraits in the Meadows Museum collection and then create their own portrait in the art studio. Program length: 90 minutes
Create a meaningful museum experience for your students by combining a docent-guided tour with self-guided gallery activities that extend and enrich classroom curriculum. For more information about integrating object-based learning in your teaching, and to plan your visit, please contact our Education Coordinator at 214.768.2740.